Skip to main content

Diversity, Health Equity and Inclusion

Advancing Equity & Belonging

Discrimination has profound effects on health outcomes. Institutional and individual biases and false beliefs are commonplace in healthcare settings, and further contribute to inequities in physical and mental well-being.

In practice, bias can lead to insufficient assessments, inadequate visit times, inappropriate treatment decisions, failure to include patients in the decision-making process, and inadequate follow-up. Patients may also delay or forego care due to experiences that reinforce the power imbalance between themselves and their clinicians and demonstrate that their lived experiences and values are ignored by said clinicians. HealthTeamWorks incorporated this understanding and the need to identify disparities and their driving inequities directly into our existing training offerings through courses on health-related social needs, implicit bias, and recognizing explicit bias and systemic oppression. Those introductory courses will soon be available for a la carte enrollment, but we knew the healthcare environment would benefit from much more. 

As your organization establishes diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging strategies, HealthTeamWorks' Diversity, Health Equity and Inclusion Series offers trainings to get your team oriented to core concepts and an Allyship Development Program to move from idea to implementation. Our Allyship Development Program guides your review of patient experience, utilization and outcome data to increase your understanding of unmet needs and opportunities to deliver optimal care. We then coach your leaders on forging stronger connections with your local Community Based Organizations (CBOs), and deliver customized Allyship Community training for your team members. For sustainability, our facilitators develop Allyship trainers within your organization to promote sustainability of your health equity efforts. Throughout, we help you evaluate the impact of your interventions and recommend improvements when indicated.

 

Health-Related Social Needs

Clinical care represents 20% of what drives health outcomes meaning the other 80% comes from social factors and physical environment. This makes it clear whole person care must consider all influencers of health. Doing so requires coordinating access to clinical, behavioral, and social services as indicated through a robust series of psychosocial assessments conducted by the care team. 

In this course you will learn the importance of:

Health Equity: An Introduction

Healthcare has a significant role in advancing health equity, addressing bias at the point of care, and assessing for the social influencers of health that impact well-being. This course instills an understanding of this responsibility and is designed to foster healthcare environments that demand equity and ensure all individuals and communities can achieve wellness.

Learning Objectives:

Allyship Development

Allyship Development Program equips learners for the unlearning and re-evaluating of their bias, a step necessary for those with privilege and power seeking to work in solidarity with people met with discrimination and injustice. Program customization based on local community priorities and needs including: Behavioral Health Needs: Mental Health and Substance Use Disorders, Language and Communication Needs, Race, Ethnicity, and Nationality, LGBTQ+ Status, Religion and Spirituality, Age, Health at Any Size, Physical and Intellectual Ability and Incarceration Status

Learning Path Modules:

PLUS - 6 Train-the-Trainer Courses

Subscribe to Diversity, Health Equity and Inclusion